A few quick random bullet points about me. More info on the "About Me" page on the blog! :)
- I was born blind in one eye and still only see out of my left. I call it “The Gift"
- My degree was Computer Science and Math and I did that for 35 years before finally diving full-time into my creative side.
- I started the blog StuckInCustoms.com immediately after getting a digital DSLR and started sharing 1 photo per day, stories, and free tutorials to help everyone enjoy this strange world of HDR Photography that I was discovering for myself. I was obsessed. As of the time of writing this, that was about 10 years ago and I still publish one photo per day and I love it. Here is the HDR Tutorial by the way.
My SmugMug Video
- The site became very popular and I started getting into social media. Now, if you add up all platforms (FB, Insta, Pinterest, Google, Twitter), I have about 16 million followers and I love all these Internet friends!
- Google tracks views, and on that platform alone, it’s over 140 billion views tracking at over 125 million a day of the photos. At least some of those views are from my mom, who is my biggest fan 🙂
- I do a lot of public speaking through my agent at CAA, I’ve been interviewed on most major TV channels around the world, and had the first HDR photo to hang in the Smithsonian. My young son went to go visit it in person, took a photo, and it made him proud. That made me smile.
- I’m really into meditation and yoga. I also go to Burning Man (my photos) every single year and love it.
- Over the past few years, I’ve started partnering with companies to build products and services. One good example is Peak Design, where we designed a number of bags on Kickstarter. The two Kickstarters made over $13 million and have been hugely successful. Most importantly, the bags make people happy! I give tremendous credit to the Peak Design team!
- I also teamed up to build our own Photo Software with Macphun. It got over 1.5million downloads (Mac only but Windows soon!) in the first year and been growing ever since.
- The company here has grown to about 10 people, full-time and part-time. Everyone helps one another out and we have a lot of fun!
- Lots more to talk about but already too many bullet points… more here on the site from Workshops to Fine Art sales to Business Development to our Online Store to Luxury Brand Partnerships to Home Videos!
- What’s the core reason I do all of this? A bit new-agey but maybe you’ll dig it. I want to help spread consciousness and presence to the world. It’s hard to teach billions to meditate, but you can help teach them photography and creativity. I believe when people are being creative they are being fully present and conscious, and that’s the best thing we all can do for the world.
A VERY PERSONAL VIDEO
I made this video from 3+ years of drone footage combined with the word of the British philosopher Alan Watts. FInd a quiet place, put on your headphones, and enjoy.